[pve-devel] cloudinit: question about cloudinit pending values && hostname/mac address changes

aderumier at odiso.com aderumier at odiso.com
Tue Feb 23 16:29:08 CET 2021

>>normally the CI service reads this only once at startup and then
>>should
>>wait on events?

>>Anything basing on a CD ROM device should be able to handle ejects or
>>inject at any time...

>>@Alexandre, did you test how good the Cloudinit clients handle this?

I'm able to change the cdrom with new file, with the /dev/cdrom
mounted, without any problem.

About cloud-init, currently, it don't do nothing on config change,
until you restart the service. (so manually, or through an custom udev
rule detecting cdrom change).

So I think it's pretty safe, until maybe you restart cloudinit service
manually and at same time change the cdrom.

with opennebula opencontext daemon, the udev rule correctly manage
cdrom change, and apply the change.

Maybe could we add a "hotplug: cloudinit" option to enable auto
regeneration ?

I still don't known how to display currently applying state of nic mac
address change. Currently we have only "pending state" (aka pending vm
hardware configuration), but with cloud-init, we have some kind of
"pending cloudnit" state. (aka pending vm guest ok configuration)
It's not really a problem currently, but It's difficult to known if
cloud-init drive need to be regenerated or not.