[pve-devel] Actual ubuntu Kernel and ZFSOnLinux on git.proxmox.com

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Fri Sep 18 09:21:39 CEST 2020

On September 18, 2020 12:31 am, René Jochum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how have you guys been? I have a nice time back here in Vorarlberg :)

busy developing PBS, as you can probably tell ;)

> Can you please update the focal kernel and zfsonlinux on git.proxmox.com
> pve-kernel doesn't seem to download its required submodules.

if you enter the submodule and run `git fetch --tags` it should work.

the problem here is that git submodules, once initialized/checked out,
only pull. we sometimes need to push tags that are not (yet) part of the
checked out branch in our mirrors (e.g., Ubuntu likes to tag in their
force-pushed branch, and only merge once it passes QA, and sometimes it
happens that a new release got cut in the meantime and that version only
exists as a tag, but is never on the fast-forward master branch).

another alternative is to de-init the submodule altogether, or clone the
whole repo from scratch (the latter works, so it's not the commits which
are missing, but just git submodule strangeness preventing them from
being found).