[pve-devel] Telegraf added in-built Proxmox support - thoughts versus our external metric support?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 7 03:42:18 CEST 2020

Hi,

I know that Proxmox has it's own inbuilt InfluxDB client:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/External_Metric_Server

However, Telegraf recently added first-party support for Proxmox:

https://github.com/influxdata/telegraf/tree/master/plugins/inputs/proxmox

Telegraf lets you output to InfluxDB, Graphite, Prometheus, as well as a
bunch of others (Telegraf in-built output clients
<https://github.com/influxdata/telegraf/tree/master/plugins/outputs>)

What do you think of using the above and contributing to that, instead of
maintaining our own Proxmox InfluxDB support?

Or are there advantages to maintaining our own code here?

Thanks,
Victor