[pve-devel] Kernel 5.6/5.7 in Proxmox (Or - what is the lead-time for kernels to ship in Proxmox).

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Wed Mar 25 09:02:42 CET 2020

Hi,

On 3/25/20 12:15 AM, Victor Hooi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Proxmox on a AMD Rome box - keen to do some testing on more
> recent kernel builds, due to the performance improvements and better
> power/temperature monitoring.
>
> Proxmox is currently on kernel 5.4 - curious when the 5.6 kernel (released)
> might land?

5.4 is currently still rather for testing, even if it runs very well:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/linux-kernel-5-4-for-proxmox-ve.66854/

> And what sort of lead-time would we be looking at for say, 5.7 (or kernels
> in general) to his Proxmox?

The 5.4 kernel will remain during the remaining releases cycle of Proxmox VE
6.X - so about the next two years.
Due to it being a upstream LTS and a Ubuntu LTS kernel, some HW support should
be back ported just fine.

The idea of a opt-in newer kernel (e.g., without ZFS, as this often needs a
bit time to release an adapted to recent kernels version) is a idea I
personally like from just the idea. But that would double the effort required
for the kernel release work - so for now we won't do that.

A newer, official supported, kernel may then land in one to two years, with
the 7.0 beta (really guessing, currently nobody knows what the future holds).

If you have specific problems and even know the fix required, we and upstream
will always try to backport this to the stable LTS kernel, at least if it isn't
an invasive fix.

cheers,
Thomas