[pve-devel] Package for vma seperately

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Wed Jun 24 10:34:08 CEST 2020

On June 5, 2020 1:33 pm, Mark Schouten wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm building Linux Images in Gitlab to distribute over customer clusters easily. We have an (daDup.eu) s3 bucket where we place the vma-files and mount that bucket via s3fs (works pretty well!). But, to create the VMA, I need to install  pve-qemu-kvm, just to install the binary VMA, which in part depends on about 300 packages.
>
> I would be grateful if there would be a separate package for VMA, if possible. :)

I don't think you'd gain much, since that separate 'vma' package would
need to depend on most of the dependencies of pve-qemu-kvm as well (look
at the output of ldd /usr/bin/vma to get an idea ;)).

the vma binary is just a thin wrapper around qemu functions after all.

the format is easy enough[1], so I guess in theory you could write your own
'dump .vma to raw img' binary if you really really want to..

1: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-qemu.git;a=blob;f=vma_spec.txt