[pve-devel] Integration of FreeNAS iSCSI target initiator in Proxmox Enterprise repo

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Wed Jun 3 19:00:26 CEST 2020

On 6/3/20 6:32 PM, bsd at todoo.biz wrote:
> Le 3 juin 2020 à 18:25, Michael Rasmussen <mir at datanom.net> a écrit :
>>
>> Signé partie PGP
>> On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 18:16:11 +0200
>> "bsd at todoo.biz" <bsd at todoo.biz> wrote:
>>

>>> What is your upper limit for this ?
>>>
>> I prefer a world without limitations;-)
>> BTW. Some years ago I asked phk (Poul Henning Kamp) about this and
>> according to him there was no kernel reason behind the limitation and
>> to the best of his knowledge the number of LUNs, within reasons, should
>> be nearly endless. Of course the number of CPU cores and the amount of
>> memory should be equipped accordingly.
>>
>>> I have a large project with Proxmox which might be popping up, if
>>> this is the case, I'll try so sponsor this ;-)
>>
>> I am convinced that the Proxmox team will welcome such a plugin since
>> supported more storage solution can only benefit Proxmox as a product.
>
> I didn't understand in the first place what was the real limitation of the FreeNAS plugin provided by TheGrandWazoo (beside not being in line with Proxmox coding practices).
>
> Because maybe in this case the Proxmox Core team could take a little of their precious time and modify the submitted patches to "style" them accordingly.

If it is already in decent shape and only some few nits have to be adapted,
sure. But if a mess comes along, even if it's technical principles would be OK,
we treat it as such, as we have to maintain them then for sure which comes with
a high cost. And not following a projects style is just a mess, I do not agree
with every projects style - not even always ours (*cough* indentation) but I
still try to adhere to it for any project I'm contributing too, at least if I
would like them to take it in ;)

Also, the last FreeNAS patches where far from just having a few style issues,
IIRC Fabians in-depth review then..

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Perl_Style_Guide
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation