[pve-devel] failed to git clone git://git.proxmox.com/git/qemu-server.git

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Sat Feb 8 16:14:33 CET 2020

On 12/12/19 4:32 PM, Jin Qian wrote:
> Thank you for your detail explanation.
> I've successfully cloned the git repository at home.
> The reason I once failed to do that at home was I did not completely
> disconnect VPN.
>
> So in general, git protocol are blocked by enterprise firewall,
> it would be better if you add https support or just publish them in github.

For your information: As of now, clone is also supported through the "dumb HTTPS"
protocol, the clone url's gitweb shows reflect that, e.g., see:
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=qemu-server.git

Note that it's recommended to use git:// whenever possible, it's much more
efficient for both sides. Anyway, some firewalls really restrict access to
it (or only allow https connections) and it's really easy to allow at no cost,
so it makes sense to have.

cheers,
Thomas