[pve-devel] OpenAPI converter (similar to JSONSchema generator)

Erik Hollensbe erik at hollensbe.org
Thu Dec 17 05:45:52 CET 2020

The specification is here and has similar semantics and goals to
jsonschema, just really good codegen support:
https://swagger.io/specification/

What I am proposing is a module that sits alongside the JSONSchema package
and generates an openapi.json/swagger.json on http request, so that the
client can either be dynamically configured or generated from a request to
a server. It could also be served on proxmox's website for simpler
generation.

It looks like this is doable with the separation of concerns in JSONSchema
and RESTHandler, since all the former does is extract data from the latter,
unless I am misreading things. A swagger/openapi generator would do
something similar. Swagger is just JSON as well, so there's no magic
formatting or parsing that needs to take place.

I am comfortable (but rusty) in perl and can read your json schema code
fine, and am willing to make the patches to generate the specification
assuming this is OK and acceptable to the powers that be.

The advantages are a healthy ecosystem of code generators (
https://github.com/OpenAPITools/openapi-generator) and also documentation
tools, like this one: https://redocly.github.io/redoc/.

I think the package could be delivered in a few weeks assuming a
development environment is easy enough to get going.

Thanks for your time,

-Erik