[pve-devel] Kernel 5.6/5.7 in Proxmox (Or - what is the lead-time for kernels to ship in Proxmox).

Victor Hooi victorhooi at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 02:59:34 CEST 2020

Hi,

It seems there's there's were performance improvements and bugfixes for AMD
EPYC in Linux 5.4:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.4-Improve-EPYC-Balance
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-EPYC-Linux-5.4-Early
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.0-5.4-EPYC-7642

More recently, they updated k10temp to support temperature/voltage/CCD
temperature reporting for AMD chips:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200116141800.9828-1-linux@roeck-us.net/
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Ryzen-k10temp-CCD-V-Current
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.6-HWMON-Changes

This has landed as part of Kernel 5.6 (just released):

https://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_5.6
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-56-features&num=1
<https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.6-HWMON-Changes>
So the plan is that Proxmox 6.2 (2020 Q2) will ship with Kernel 5.4, right?

But 5.4 won't be updated for 1-2 years after that? Would pve-test have
newer kernels, if we were willing to put up with some rough edges?

Do you know if the k10temp patches can be backported?

Thanks,
Victor