[pve-devel] scsi-hd vs scsi-generic with iSCSI

Daniel Berteaud daniel at firewall-services.com
Sun Sep 29 17:01:44 CEST 2019

----- Le 28 Sep 19, à 9:38, Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com a écrit :

> What exactly is the problem with scsi-generic? Maybe we can fix it?

The two main issues I have are :

  * Bug #2380 : if we try to move a disk from a ZFS over iSCSI storage of a running VM, I/O errors will be reported to the guest, and its FS will "panic". When a drive mirror is running, any reads (probably writes too) will fail with I/O error
  * Bug #2335 : when resizing a disk, the guest is not notified about the new size, you have to rescan the SCSI device for the new size to be visible

If switching to scsi-hd instead of scsi-generic, then both of those issues are gone. Drive mirror and resizing works like for any other storage types (which, for most of them, also use scsi-hd)

Cheers,
Daniel

--
[ https://www.firewall-services.com/ ]