[pve-devel] scsi-hd vs scsi-generic with iSCSI

Michael Rasmussen mir at datanom.net
Wed Oct 9 19:39:05 CEST 2019

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 17:39:56 +0200
Thomas Lamprecht <t.lamprecht at proxmox.com> wrote:

> I would actually really like to change this to scsi-hd, but we need
> to be sure it's OK for all possible supported setups..
>
> So I tried to investigate a bit how it came to the use of
> scsi-generic, I came to a commit[0] from Alexandre (CCd) which adds
> support for access with libiscsi.
>
> Maybe he knows why the -generic was used and not the -hd one?
>
> [0]:
> https://git.proxmox.com/?p=qemu-server.git;a=commitdiff;h=d454d040338a6216c8d3e5cc9623d6223476cb5a

For my part I can say that I have several times pointed out that using
'generic' also disables any kind of IO stats so therefore I have for
the last 3 years replaced:
$devicetype = 'generic' with $devicetype = 'block'
to have IO stats when using zfs_over_iscsi. This have caused no
problems what so +1 for me to have it removed

PS. The issue was discussed on this list 2016-09-29 to 2016-09-30
between Alexandre, Dietmar, and me. This was a patch by Alexandre witch
was related to an issue related to cpu iothread bottleneck with Ceph
and scsi-block vs scsi-generic.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
https://pgp.key-server.io/pks/lookup?search=0xD3C9A00E
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
https://pgp.key-server.io/pks/lookup?search=0xE501F51C
mir <at> miras <dot> org
https://pgp.key-server.io/pks/lookup?search=0xE3E80917
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
lp1 on fire
(One of the more obfuscated kernel messages)