[pve-devel] cpu type ppc/s390

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Mon Oct 7 17:17:26 CEST 2019

On 10/7/19 4:54 PM, Tomas Dalebjörk wrote:
> ok
>
> that is sad
> as qemu support other architectures
> so it cant be that difficult

Yes, qemu itself supports them, that's not the issue.
But one needs to do the whole management around the CPU and it's platforms
hardware, that's what Proxmox VE is actually there.
And that can be huge work depending on platform differences, testing, adapations
to future changes specific to that platform and all the other little things add
up quick.

The current implementation[0][1][2][3] can handle amd64 (duh) and somewhat
experimental arm64, while that part is rather limited and assumes mostly amd64
like HW for the rest of the system. If you check out the implementation
you'll see that it's not all that easy, I mean maybe to bring some proof of
concept up, yeah, but to actually have it fully integrated, tested with
different possible OS and so on it becomes a non-trivial amount of work.

Is it dooable, yeah, sure. But we have no need for it, and so do well over
90% of our users (ballmarked). So why invest the time there instead of doing
other feature/bug fixes which help much more users?

Note that you can always do yourself an implementation, we're opensource and
contribute after all. Maybe it's much easier to do than I currently belief (have
not looked deeply in PPC, but having the arm64 part in mind I'd guess that I'm
not completely off) and if it's somewhat nicely integrated into the current
stack, not affecting the current amd64 parts in any negative way, we can take it
in as experimental in the project too.

cheers,
Thomas

[0]: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=qemu-server.git;a=blob;f=PVE/QemuServer.pm;h=83762607dcde15acca06bbe877157cbbcf993f1f;hb=HEAD