[pve-devel] proxmox wiki update: removing No-Subscription debian repo

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Wed Feb 20 10:05:11 CET 2019

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 10:30:54AM +0100, Herman van Rink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is this the best place to suggest changes to the pve wiki? It seems that
> account creation is disabled there these days.
>
> The installation steps[1] have a section 'Configure apt to use the new
> packages repositories' mentioning that you need to add a repository.
>
> In my experience the Enterprise repo is automatically added, so no need
> to add anything.
>
> Removing the 'No-Subscription' repo would be a good step to add or automate.
>
> While the wiki mentions 'not recommended to run on production servers' I
> found this repo active on a number of servers that also have a valid
> subscription.

The problem is that if you are currently running Debian Stretch, you
don't have any (non-manual) way to enable access to the pve-enterprise
repository. Thus you first need to configure the pve-no-subscription
one, use that to install PVE, then add your subscription key and switch
to pve-enterprise.

It might make sense to put a hint at the end that switching to
pve-enterprise if you have a subscription is a good idea at that point
;)