[pve-devel] Gitlab-ci

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Mon Aug 26 19:47:56 CEST 2019

On 26.08.19 12:43, Kamil Trzciński wrote:
> Did you think about using GitLab to at least to host all sources?

For now that won't happen soon.

> I think that using Merge Requests workflow could actually be better and
> easier to contribute to
> than current mailing list.

IMO this depends on what one is accustomed too. I find the mailinglist
approach in general easier, I need no account (already have a mail address)
can use my own clients, it's all plain text, ...

That said, there where some discussions on adding supporting tools like
"patchew" and maybe even GitLab may be an option some day, but not soon,
the current workflow may seem a bit lowlevel or unused too, especially for
people which came to OpenSource relative recently, where GitLab/Hub like
platforms were already really popular. But we have docs for the contribution
process, and in general will really try to help people who actively try to
contribute, if they have any questions. I personally also try to take almost
everything resembling a patch in any way, if possible - at least if it comes
from people not employed by Proxmox (as then it's their job to do so ;) )

Depending pull-requests and merge base workflow, yes that could sometimes be
nicer, but it does not really fits our review procedure and not all like it
here.

At the end I think that everybody should be able to send a mail, naturally
it adds some sort of barrier and it's not anyhow a goal to result in people
not contributing because of this. But also if you change the whole process
to GitLab/Hub/... one will "lock out" another group of people, or better
said make new contributions less likely.

btw. I'm currently eyeing sourcehut, it's a bit of a compromise and may
develop into something I'd have no issue to use, not that it'd be my decision
alone.

In the world of OpenSource, mailing list worked good for quite a bit for
quite bigger projects, so for now we should get away with it a bit longer.

cheers,
Thomas