[pve-devel] Json reply format

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Thu Mar 22 10:07:20 CET 2018

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 09:28:39AM +0100, Fabian Grünbichler wrote:
> @all
>
> maybe it would make sense to add a description field for the return type
> like we have for the permissions? then the API viewer could display
> something meaningful even in cases where we can't press the return type
> into a strict specification for whatever reasons?
>
> unfortunately the 'return' property is not extendable without lots of
> code churn and client breakage, so we'd need an extra
> 'return_description' property or something like that (or we postpone it
> to the next major API bump and refactor the 'return' property to have
> description and specification sub-properties).
>
> 1: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation

disregard parts of that - the return property is just under-specified in
our schema as well ;) we could just add descriptions to the return
properties wherever we cannot specify them cleanly (for whatever
reasons), and follow-up on Thomas' patch to display the description if
it is available (in addition to the return type and, if available,
return specification).

how does that sound?