[pve-devel] training week : students features request

Wolfgang Bumiller w.bumiller at proxmox.com
Tue Mar 20 14:09:08 CET 2018

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 09:49:05AM -0300, Gilberto Nunes wrote:
> That's was nice! Thanks Dietmar
>
> Meanwhile, I get some errors here... Certain because I am doing something
> pretty ugly.
>
> So, this is my steps:
>
> 1 - I alreay have a KVM VM with Alpine Linux in it. The VMID is 101.
> 2 - I add a cloud disk to VM 101. I add it to ZFS local storage... I local
> storage I get this error [1]
(...)
> kvm: -drive
> file=/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-cloudinit.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-ide2,format=qcow2,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on:
> file system may not support O_DIRECT
> kvm: -drive
> file=/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-cloudinit.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-ide2,format=qcow2,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on:
> Could not open '/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-cloudinit.qcow2': Invalid
> argument

You can't use cache=none with _files_ on ZFS.

> 3 - I went to Cloud-init, fill all information, such user and password bla
> bla bla... Click Regenerate Image
> 4 - I created a new VM, attached the cloud-init and try to boot over it - I
> use qm set VMID -ide2 local-zfs:vm-101-cloudinit and try it also with -scsi1
> 5 - I get a not bootable disk

Well of course, you're not supposed to boot from the disk, the disks is
just data for the OS to load and use. You need an already-installed OS
with cloud-init starting at boot (either from a fixed
cloud-image/template, or by insstalling your favorite distro and
installing the cloud-init package into it)