[pve-devel] [PATCH V3 ifupdown2 0/3] ifupdown2 package
aderumier at odiso.com
Fri Jun 15 01:52:00 CEST 2018
- update to master-next branch (2.0)
- remove 1 extra patch
Theses last months, I'm working on vxlan implementation. (I'll send info in coming weeks)
I have worked on classic ifupdown, but it's not super clean to implement,
when we have complex configuration.
ifupdown2 is currently well maintained by cumulus since 2014, and support all features from last kernels.
(vxlan (unicast, multicast, frr, arp suppression, vrf, vlanaware bridge,
vlan attributes on interfaces, ...)
and compatible with classic ifupdown syntax.
This package is based on cumulus branch
as the master/debian branch is old and don't have all features
(cumulus is planning to rebase it in coming months)
For now, it could be great to simply propose ifupdown2 as alternative to proxmox users.
and maybe in 1 or 2 years, if it's working great, make it default for proxmox6 ?
Some advantages vs classic ifupdown:
-we can reload configuration ! (ifreload -a, or systemctl reload networking).
ifupdown2 maintain graphs dependencies between interfaces.
(Note that as we don't define tap,veth interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces,
they are not bridged anymore if you do ifdown/ifup vmbr0,
but it don't remove them on ifreload vmbr0)
-we can define ipv4/ipv6 in same interface
(no need anymore iface inet6 static, iface inet static, or iface inet manual, but old iface inet syntax is still supported)
or multiple ip on loopback
iface lo inet loopback
-classic pre-up scripts still works (if users have custom config)
- for ovs I just have needed to make a small workaround in ovs ifupdown script (see my ovs patch),
and a small config change (replace allow-ovs by auto).
Currently, I don't do in ifupdown2 post-install script
-templating support: example: creating vxlan interfaces from vxlan30->vxlan100
%for v in range(30,100):
some documentation here:
breaking config change (could be done with a postinst script):
- bond : slaves ethX ethy is not working, bond-slaves ethx ethy need to be used (classic ifupdown support both syntax)
- vlan aware bridge: allowed vlans need to be define with "bridge-vids 2-4094" for example
- Currently it can't reload configuration
- unicast vxlan it not supported
- I think we don't have to maintain a systemd package if we need to extend it
- new features seem to take years to come
- IPV6: systemd-networkd reimplement kernel features (ipv6 RA,...) with tons of bugs (some not yet fixed)
Alexandre Derumier (3):
add debian dir
add ifupdown2 submodule
More information about the pve-devel