[pve-devel] VNC console

Dominik Csapak d.csapak at proxmox.com
Fri Jun 1 10:37:39 CEST 2018

On 06/01/2018 10:27 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
> Il giorno ven 1 giu 2018 alle ore 10:21 Dominik Csapak
> <d.csapak at proxmox.com> ha scritto:
>>
>> why not use screen or tmux or something similar?
>
> this is a workaround, not a solution.
> It's prone to errors, in example, what if you are executing commands
> without screen/tmux expeting to finish shortly
> and then a sudden power loss occures on your client or any other reason?

you can configure your system to automatically reattach/create (to) a
screen session

e.g. in ~/.profile

[ -z "$STY" ] && screen -Rd "work"

(shamelessly copied from
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20514239/how-to-make-gnu-screen-auto-start-when-login)

of course this has to be adapted for your use case
(btw. the way we do it for containers is nearly the same,
we only use dtach instead of screen)

> Having a persisting console, like a real VNC, is much better.
> Obviously, screen/tmux could be used for anything expeting to run
> longer,
> but an unexpected event could always arise. A real VNC console would
> be unaffected.....
of course you can setup your own vncserver which runs and you can access
(if the above solution is not suitable)