[pve-devel] proxmox 2018 : add support for "virtual" network and network plugins ?

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Tue Jan 2 08:52:48 CET 2018

> note that cumulus linux have rewrite ifupdown in python (ifupdown2 package)
> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/ifupdown2
>
> (better ipv6 handing, and graph dependencies between interfaces-bridge-....)
> but it's limited to linux bridge, no ovs. and I don't known if it's easily
> extendible

But nobody really use that - not even debian plans to switch to that
implementation?

> >>My original plan was to use systemd networkd:
> >>
> >>https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-networkd.service.html
> >>

> >>What do you think about that?
>
> I don't known too much how systemd networkd is work. is it easily extendible ?

Never tried, but why not? Well, AFAIK it is written in C.

> What I mean in mind, in a perl management plugin, to manage more complex
> network sdn, with virtual networks config shared across nodes.
> something like openstack neutron
> plugins should management tap_plug/unplug or vhost_user plug/unplug, firewall
> rules (iptables or other implement if sdn support it), routing (quagga/frr)
> like vxlan + evpn-bgp, dhcp/ip management, ...
>
> A lot of thing can be improved, I'm not sure in can handle by
> ifupdown,systemd-networkd,... which are more about local network setup
> configuration.

I guess this is the fasted way to go, but then we need to write
and maintain everything ourselves. I would prefer to work on
something that can be shared across multiple projects?