[pve-devel] Using zstd for backup

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Fri Feb 16 10:42:54 CET 2018

On 2/16/18 10:09 AM, Nils Privat wrote:
> Nice patch, thanks. The patch works straightforward, we just have to
> include "zstd: 1" in "/etc/vzdump.conf" to be able to use more CPUs.
> In order to use this patch we have to clone and make zstd first because the
> delivered zstd on debian stretch is to old.
> Question @PVE-Devel: To finish this patch up we have to include a clone of
> https://github.com/facebook/zstd to your git repositories
> https://git.proxmox.com, is that possible?

It's already in Debian: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/zstd

So it may make more sense to ask its maintainer(s) nicely to add a newer
version to stretch-backports, if this one is to old.
They know such a package much better than we and thus can achieve a better
packaging quality with much less time investment, than we would if we took
over maintainership for it.
Plus, in backports the whole Debian world can take advantage from a new
version :)

cheers,
Thomas