[pve-devel] FreeNAS storage plugin

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Fri May 26 09:09:33 CEST 2017

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 12:58:28PM +0200, datanom.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have started developing a storage plugin for FreeNAS which uses the
> FreeNAS REST API.
> I have tested this using a combination of Postman, iscsi_discovery, and
> iscsi-inq and everything seems to work perfectly. Using the REST API also
> circumvent the limitations in CLD because with the API you create a target
> group for every VM which can hold up to 25 LUNs (I think 25 LUNs for each VM
> is sufficient).
>
> In stead of extending the current ZFS_over_iSCSI plugin I would prefer
> making a stand-alone plugin named FreeNAS. Any objection to this decision?

if you do all the operations (like create a snapshot, allocate a volume,
...) over the REST API, shoe-horning that into the existing
ZFS-over-SSH approach of the ZFS-over-iSCSI plugin does not make much
sense IMHO ;)

is your plan to upstream this, or will you just publish it as custom
storage plugin?