[pve-devel] Hack to circumvent the "apt-get upgrade" problem

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Thu Mar 9 08:00:19 CET 2017

On 03/09/2017 06:34 AM, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>> What ideas do you guys have to circumvent this?
> 1.) Package splitting is mostly done, and we will not introduce many new
> packages in the future, so this problem will not show up frequently.
>
> 2.) We have an upgrade button on the GUI
>
> 3.) We provide upgrade instructions
>
> 4.) Forum contains tons of hints, because we actively help users
> running into that problem.
>
> more ideas?

The new `apt` tool, which is a slightly higher level replacement (or
interface) of the `apt-get`
and `apt-cache` tools. Its `upgrade`command has actually an slightly
other meaning than the
one from `apt-get`, it installs and pulls in new packages (but never
removes ones unlike
dist-upgrade) and thus addresses this issue also.

apt was introduced in Jessie and should be the way to go, it's also
shorter to write :)

cheers,
Thomas