[pve-devel] Pve Load Balance...

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Thu Mar 2 09:26:56 CET 2017

Hi,

On 03/01/2017 10:55 PM, Andreas Steinel wrote:
> Hi Gilberto,
>
> ah yes, now it's clear.
>
> Yes, this would be a good thing, but it is very hard to do that in
> terms of "finding a metric". There is memory pressure, cpu load and
> possible local storage (for non-shared-storage migrations), but should
> be doable. I think you can file a feature request to get this
> implemented.

It is somewhat on our radar, but yes as you said the metric finding is a
problem which could be not  easy to get right.
We thought about starting with static loads manually assigned to each
VM/CT, and a capacity for the hosts, this would balance the load of to
get started VMs over the cluster.

If this will get advanced I'd add some dynamic metric aggregation.
For the metrics, I'd say CPU and Memory and eventually Network load
could be possible inputs in our control loop.
The main problems/pitfalls would be:
* the cluster acts as a non linear system, not the easiest to control
(automatically) :)
* never ever update control loop faster than your systems (cluster, or
local nodes) sample and delay time
   (Totzeit, in German not sure if I got  the correct translation), this
would just make the system unstable sooner or later.
* the worst case delay time would be (highly) probably the one of a
migration, during that time we may even generate more load (i.e. on a
network metric) dependent of the cluster/node setup
* as our delay time is quite huge we need to look at reducing
oscillation, it should be nonexistent.
* the very very different setups in which Proxmox VE gets deployed

So as a result of this local storage is not an ideal metric, imo.
It act as an PT2 element so we increase delay time further (we need to
read and copy all disks), a better solution for this is to move this
property to storage technology, i.e. use Ceph, Sheepdog, GlusterFS, etc..

Anyway, nothing fixed planned, I thought just a little about it and we
consider it in general.

cheers,
Thomas