[pve-devel] FreeNAS plugin: Status

Michael Rasmussen mir at datanom.net
Thu Jun 8 18:07:26 CEST 2017

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 17:06:30 +0200 (CEST)
Alexandre DERUMIER <aderumier at odiso.com> wrote:

> do you talk have about lun size on the host ? On the host, a simple iscsi rescan should be able to detect new size.

Both host and storage. FreeNAS requires a removal of the
'targettoexent' and a new reassigning of targettoextent between
target and extent. This reassignment brakes the connection sort of like
pulling the power from a disk. In best case it will only cause a slight
hang of the VM but could lead to a complete crash and data loss so to
be on the safe side I will bail on disk connected to running VM's. A
small cost to pay for much higher stability and durability. If a VM/CT
most be available 24/7/365 you better make a clustered and/or redundant
setup.

>I'm sure to be able to do online resize with my nexenta - zfs iscsi plugin in the past.
>First version of my plugin (2010-2012 don't remember) was using scsi on host.
>But it was too painfull to maintain (mainly with multipath and cpu usage with a lot of luns), so I switch >it to libisci.

But libiscsi is severely limited. Eg. no support for MPIO, no support
for target groups, no support for chap, and most importantly no support
for LXC.

On the other hand maintenance of the iscsi subsystem has improved a lot
making it very easy expose and hide LUN's on demand.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys: