[pve-devel] Work on accessibility features

Dominik Csapak d.csapak at proxmox.com
Mon Feb 20 10:41:44 CET 2017

On 02/20/2017 08:21 AM, Mitchell Smith wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I would like to assist with PVE development, specifically in the area of improving the accessibility of the web UI for users using screen reader technology.
>
> I have some prior experience in this area and also the ability to test across Linux, Mac and Windows.
>
> Obviously there are alternative options for anyone wanting to use PVE with assistive technologies such as ‘pvesh’ or creating a whole new UI that talks to the PVE API, but having had a bit of a look around the current PVE management code I don’t think it will require a lot of time to do.
>
> I notice in pve-manager/www/manager6/Utils.js all the Aria stuff is currently disabled, and a comment about components needing to be upgraded.  I assume this relates to UI components from an older version of ExtJS that haven’t been made compatible with ExtJS 6 yet?
>
> Is there an open bug tracker item for this work that shows any work in progress / work remaining to be done that is a blocker for enabling these Aria features?
>
> Please let me know what I can do to help in order to make some progress on this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mitch

hi,

for migrating to extjs 6 we disabled the aria features, but never
enabled them again.

for one exception (the treelist, used in
pve-manager/www/manager/panel/ConfigPanel.js) i am not aware of any
problems which would block aria

since we do not have the hardware (screen reader?) or someone who uses
these features, we have only limited possibilities to develop these

i think it would be best if you look at the extjs documentation, and
just try to enable aria and look what works and what doesn't

then you could send patches (which will be accepted if they are ok and
do not break anything :) ), or just open bugs with reproducible problems
and we try to fix them

before sending patches look at our dev documenation though, accessible
under:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation

happy coding/testing :)