[pve-devel] Has somewhere checked the templates?

Detlef Bracker bracker at 1awww.com
Sat Feb 4 05:32:36 CET 2017

Dear,

from the proxmox stock installed the templates works absolute suboptimal !
The templates are produced for homepc`s or as linux virtual servers?
I have test 3 templates and all this 3 templates are not direct usable
without hands on!
Tomorrow I will check the others!

fedora-24-default_20161207_amd64.tar.xz    without an installed SSH-Server!

    yum install openssh-server
    So all administrators must make handy work! No GUI can resolve this
and not the
    API! Yes, we can program scripts, they goes arround the APIs and so
on! But question is:
    Why a GUI, when all administrators must make hand works?

debian-8.0-standard_8.6-1_amd64.tar.gz       is set to login only via
sshkey´s !!!

    You can enter in the container and can change via passwd the root
password, but this has no effect !!!
    /etc/ssh/sshd_config is in set to PermitRootLogin "without-password"

    Nice about this a password-setting equal from the GUI or the API has
no effect!

    I thing so, standard must been open and when expl. a admin set an
ssh-key, then this setting can been
    change to "without-password", but not in standard mode! With key to
change only this settings is easy!
    And every customer must make their security! It can been too, that
the admin protect the ssh interface
    via hosts.deny and work only with one allowed IP, so then they dont
need a SSH-Key!

gentoo-current-default_20161206_amd64.tar.xz    ssh server not default
startet / set to login only via key

                and standard-editor vi / vim not exists!
    vi is a standard editor - so we need to install vi:

    emerge --ask app-editors/vim

    Nice longer compiling time and then the make process aborts with
error (emake failed)

    Now we make updates - only to install a virtual machine for a customer
    Every administrator must do - we have no other things to doe ....
    ..... for standard working as a linux server, this need longer as 1
hour !!! ....

    Nice again installation of vim only to edit one file, breakes again
(emake failed)!
    So after 1,5 hour I stop this work for this template completly and
block the template for customers!

So a standard template must have this minimum:

- working networking
- ping must been function
- ssh-server must been installed and open for the 1st login of a
customer, they get the new fresh server and they
     can install the rest
- vi
- resolving the hostnames