[pve-devel] rfc : implementing a cloudinit metadata server

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Wed Aug 30 07:52:15 CEST 2017

Hi,

the previous cloudinit patches used a cdrom for config drive.

Wolfgang tell me that it could be great to get it work for lxc too.

So maybe we could try to implement a cloudinit metadataserver, with same api than cloudstack (or amazon ec2, or both)

The process is:

- client generate a local link address (169.254.0.0/16)

- cloudinit agent call http://169.254.169.254/ which is the metadataserver.
    endpoints for openstack are
      http://169.254.169.254/openstack/latest/meta_data.json
      http://169.254.169.254/openstack/latest/user_data
      http://169.254.169.254/openstack/latest/network_data.json

      (see http://www.madorn.com/openstack-metadata-types.html for examples)

      - meta_data.json && network_data.json could be generated from vm config (ip, hostname, dns, ssh keys).
      - user_data could be a separate yaml file, like /etc/pve/qemu-server/<vmid>.userdata for example.

on proxmox host, we add an iptables rules like

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 169.254.169.254/32 -p tcp -m tcp --port 80 -j DNAT - to-destination <proxmoxhostip>:8006

to redirect request to proxmox host.

(Not sure if we need to implement a separate daemon, or reuse pveproxy and add openstack endpoints)

Now, the tricky part, is that we need to make api responding the correct datas for the correct client.
I don't have found how they are doing that in openstack or ec2,

but I think it could be possible to check client macaddress in arp table from the src ip 169.254.x.x, then from mac address, find vmid.

What do you think about it ?