[pve-devel] LXC volumes on ZFS over iSCSI

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Sun Oct 23 12:40:52 CEST 2016

> The backup gui has snapshot mode as default so if the user misses to
> change this setting backup will fail. The scheduled backup seems to be
> able to detect what backup mode a VM's storage and type support and
> choose backup mode accordingly.

BTW, we already have some code to support such behavior here:

https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-manager.git;a=blob;f=PVE/VZDump.pm;h=5f77b5486318a979d2d94bfc15ff97e46d8465c5;hb=HEAD#l868

The vzdump 'prepare' hook can simply return a "mode failure.*" exception.
This causes vzdump to fall back to 'suspend' mode. We use that
if a storage does not support snapshots.

Code in pct is also already there:

https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-container.git;a=blob;f=src/PVE/VZDump/LXC.pm;h=7062bf3b6dec745c0ac5cfe9540c0564bca68a7b;hb=HEAD#l139

I guess you just need to add a special case for your storage type there.

hope that helps?