[pve-devel] Finding VMs by hostname, not id

Andreas Steinel a.steinel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 16:59:52 CEST 2016

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Michael Rasmussen <mir at datanom.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 16:09:48 +0200
> Andreas Steinel <a.steinel at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > How do you guys solve this problem in big environments? Is there a
> simpler
> > way I don't see right now?
> >
> You could use DHCP assigned IP and a DNS server which automatically
> adds or removes IP from domain. If some VM's needs static IP this can
> be handled by DHCP as well.

You mean a "self registering dns name"?

I'm currently using a solution based on LDAP-backed DNS and DHCP (including
PXE options). The problem I have is how to "join" the information based on
IDs in Proxmox VE with the hostname. I can join based on MAC if all
machines are registered, but not otherwise.

There was a discussion about getting IP addresses via qemu-agent and
display it in the Proxmox VE GUI, but that only helps for VMs running with
the agent. It would be simpler to add - SQL-technically speaking - a
hostname column to the KVM VMs. I need something to join and the VM name
can be ambiguous.

In the end I want to see on the overview page of a VM what the hostname
and/or IP is for logging in. Currently I did it in the comment.