[pve-devel] [PVE-User] online migration broken in latest updates - "unknown command 'mtunnel'"

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Fri Nov 18 17:44:41 CET 2016

Hi,

On 11/18/2016 05:02 PM, Chance Ellis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running a small cluster of 3 nodes. I would like to upgrade those nodes to the newer versions. The problem I will run into is a requirement for no down time.
>
> My normal upgrade plan is to live migrate vms off of node-1  to the remaining 2 nodes. I then upgrade and reboot node-1. Once node-1 is operational, I move vms from node-2 to node-1. I upgrade and reboot node-2. I follow the same for node-3.
>
> The issue I will run into is that once I upgrade node-1, I won’t be able to migrate vms from node-2 back to it because of the version mismatch on qemu-server and pve-cluster. The migration will fail. The only option I will have is to shutdown the vm and move the conf file. Back to the no down time requirement, this is less than ideal.

If I understand you correctly you have
new node1
old node2

And migration from node2 -> node1 does not work?
That should not be, if you run into this can you post the error from the
migrate command?

We normally try to guarantee that old -> new works, the other way around
cannot be always guaranteed.

I tested this also now and it worked. I down graded a test node of mine,
started a VM there and live migrated it successfully to a upgraded VM.

> Is there another way to migrate the vms with the new version packages using the old method that doesn’t detect or a separate migration network?

If you have not configured it it will not be used.
Migrate a unimportant test VM first to see if it works.

cheers,
Thomas