[pve-devel] quorum using Rasberry Pi as node

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue May 24 21:21:29 CEST 2016

On 23.05.2016 00:03, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2016 23:37:00 +0200
> Thomas Lamprecht <t.lamprecht at proxmox.com> wrote:
>
>> I'll continue with this, but its not to high priority.
>> But I agree, ARM will come to servers more, not in a short time but still.
>> Also they have chips with virtualisation features and there exists a basic KVM for it.
>>
> I have ordered a raspberry pi 3 and as soon as it arrives I will apply
> my POC and test it in a real setup.

I successfully ported pve-cluster on a Raspberry Pi from the first (!) generation.
I have now packages for pve-common, pve-cluster, pve-access control.

Created a cluster on it and tested the FS a little. I'll include it in a real test setup.

I would not recommend the first generation for anything else than testing, its - not to powerful - single core is a limitation which can lead to starvation of corosync/pmxcfs, also we are using 64 bit stuff heavily on a 32 bit platform, each instruction takes almost double the cycles then on the ARMv8 from the Raspberry Pi 3.

Nonetheless initial POC was made, the packages I build are for armhf architecture while the Pi3 you get is aarch64 so they won't be of use.
But an RasPi3 is also underway to me and I'll continue with that.

@Wolfgang: the system call numbers are OK, it seems they are independent and a "compat_sys_call_table" provides the number to function mapping for each arch.

cheers,
Thomas