[pve-devel] General direct [i]SCSI storage plugin to extend for specific SAN

Dmitry Petuhov mityapetuhov at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 11:14:05 CEST 2016

I want to write storage plugin for my Netapp iSCSI SAN. But I'm little
confused what to use as base.

ISCSIDirectPlugin.pm is first candidate, but currently it looks not very
usable. Am I right understood that the only way to use it is to manually
create LUN on SAN and write its number in VM config via cli?

ZFSPlugin.pm is more promising candidate, because of its extensibility
via LunCmd/* modules by design. Actually, it could become good general
direct-lun iSCSI plugin, if all ZFS-specific stuff would moved out to
LunCmd/* modules.

Another consideration is that LunCmd/* plugins can be used by other
transports of nowadays enterprise SANs, like SAS or FC. Their
volume-image-snapshot APIs are often pretty same for different
transports. At same time, actual transport can be masked at PVE side by
multipathd: we could associate SAN-specific image name with its WWN in
LunCmd code and feed qemu with unified devices
/dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x{$wwn} generated by multipathd.

Any thoughts?