[pve-devel] Generic term to cover VMs and containers in the documentation

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Tue Apr 12 13:55:53 CEST 2016

Hi

While reading the vzdump documentation, I notice that we use there the
term VM to describe both containers and qemu based virtualized systems.

For instance:

'vzdump' is a utility to make consistent snapshots of running virtual
machines (VMs). It basically creates an archive of the VM private
area, which also includes the VM configuration files. 'vzdump'
currently supports LXC containers and QemuServer VMs.

What would be a good term to cover both of these ?

I am thinking of either 'machine' or 'virtualized system'.

'machine' itself is used by systemd, see this machinectl(1) extract,

       machinectl may be used to introspect and control the state
       of the systemd(1) virtual machine and container registration
       manager systemd-machined.service(8).

       -a, --all
           When showing machine properties, show all properties
           regardless of whether they are set or not.

Any thoughts on that ?