[pve-devel] adding a vm workload scheduler feature

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Tue Nov 17 08:40:19 CET 2015

> What do you think about it ?

interesting

> As we don't have master node, I don't known how to implement this:
>
> 1) each node try to migrate his own vms to another node with less cpu usage.
>    maybe with a global cluster lock to not have 2 nodes migrating in both way
> at the same time ?

I assume it is hard to get this stable (just a feeling). On the other side, this
would be simple
to implement. Each node is responsible to move its own VMs, so you do not even
need a lock.

> 2) have some kind of master service in the cluster (maybe with corosync
> service ?),
>    which read global stats of all nodes, and through an algorithm, do the
> migrations.
>
> Don't known which way is better ?

My plan was to integrate this into the HA manager, but then you only have the
feature
for HA enabled VMs.

But the CRM code shows how to use a cluster wide lock to implement a 'master'
role.