[pve-devel] Default cache mode for VM hard drives

Stanislav German-Evtushenko ginermail at gmail.com
Thu May 28 09:54:32 CEST 2015

Dietmar,

fsync esures that data reaches underlying hardware but it does not help
being sure that buffer is not changed until it is fully written.

I will describe my understanding here why we get this problem with O_DIRECT
and don't have without.

** Without O_DIRECT **
1. Application tries to write data from buffer
2. Data from buffer goes to host cache
3. RAID writers get data from host cache and put to /dev/loop1 and
/dev/loop2
Even if buffer changes data in host cache will not be changed so RAID is
consistent.

** With O_DIRECT **
1. Application tries to write data from buffer
2. RAID writers get data from application (!!!) bufferand put to /dev/loop1
and /dev/loop2
if meanwhile data in buffer is changed (this change can be done in
different posix thread) then we have different data reachs /dev/loop1 and
/dev/loop2

Resume: when working in O_DIRECT mode QEMU has to wait until "write" system
call is finished before changing this buffer OR QEMU has to create new
buffer every time OR ... other ideas?

Stanislav