[pve-devel] A strategy if the upgrade of wheezy to jessie isn't possible

Cesar Peschiera brain at click.com.py
Mon May 11 15:43:12 CEST 2015

> I guess you can still use such network setup, but maybe you need
> to re-install the servers. AFAIk upgrade existing setups does
> not work so far.

Hi Dietmar

I guess that in case of be need the reinstallation of PVE, can be a good
strategy based in stages of short delay of time, as i explain to

Stage 1:
- PVE releases the packets of the cluster communication of PVE 4.0 for PVE
3.4 in the test repository of PVE 3.4.

Stage 2:
- I download these necessary packages.
- I Turn off all the VMs of my PVE 3.4 cluster.
- I install these new packages downloaded in all servers of my PVE 3.4
- If is necessary, I reconfigure the new cluster for that it work well.
- If is necessary, I restart all my servers.
- Finally, I boot all VMs of my PVE Cluster.

With the stage two completed and with a minimal downtime of VMs, I will get
the compatibility of all the nodes PVE 3.4 with the new PVE 4.0 that will be
installed coming soon.

Stage 3:
- I work in detail and with one or two servers to update them to PVE 4.
- For example i take 2 servers that has DRBD, and I work in them.
- Other example: If the storage of the virtual disk is external, I apply the
online migration of the VMs, and after, i work in a single server that don't
have VMs running

Stage 4, 5, 6... etc:
It is the same step of the stage 3, only that is repetitive.

Of this manner and in general terms, the downtime of the VMs will be the
minimun possible.

What do you think about that?

More information about the pve-devel mailing list