[pve-devel] add subvolume support to pve-storage

Michael Rasmussen mir at datanom.net
Fri May 1 11:25:31 CEST 2015

On Fri, 1 May 2015 10:55:35 +0200 (CEST)
Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to add subvolume support to improve our container implementation.
> I stated using the ZFSPoolPlugin, and simply use a new 'format' called 'subvol'.
>
> While that seems to work, I wonder if that would also work with the 'ZFSPlugin'?
> Would
> it be possible to create a subvolume one an external server, and export that via
> NFS?
> Would that work with nexenta or other storage boxes?

Theoretically it should provided you enable NFS for the dataset.
However, filtering out datasets which does not belong to Proxmox needs
to be taken into account. From what I read from the patch you will
create a dataset for each disk like:

pool ----

        ----- vm-100-disk-1 (zvol pool/vm-100-disk-1)

	----- vm-100-disk-2 (dataset pool/vm-100-disk-2)

        ----- vm-100-disk-3 (dataset pool/vm-100-disk-3)

On Solaris based storage this should work since enabling NFS on a
dataset automatically export it through the NFS server. I think ZOL and
FreeBSD requires manually configuration of the native NFS server, only
an assumption though.

However, ACL is also something which has to be taken into account since
ZFS ACL is incompatible with Linux ACL so each dataset must be mounted
using option noacl. On the server side you will need the following
options on dataset (pve-server subnet 172.16.0.0/24):
aclmode               passthrough
aclinherit            passthrough-x
sharenfs              rw=@172.16.0.0/24,root=@172.16.0.0/24

Above options is the once which is not default value.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
It don't mean a THING if you ain't got that SWING!!