[pve-devel] Running KVM as root is a security issue

Eric Blevins ericlb100 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:33:49 CEST 2015

Having only PCI passthrough VMs running as root would be a huge improvement.
Maybe cgroups could be used to reduce the risk.

Exit scripts could be suid if needed.
An exploted VM could potentially use the suid pve-bridgedown script to
destroy bridges of other VMs.

Long term I think a better idea is needed.

The exit scripts could simply notify some other privlidged process
that they are shutting down.
Privlidged process would then verify that VM is down and do whatever
cleanup is necessary.