[pve-devel] backup : add pigz compressor

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Mon Jul 13 10:17:17 CEST 2015

07/11/2015 09:25 AM, Cesar Peschiera wrote:
>> Yes, that makes sense to me.
>
> Or maybe the PVE GUI also can has a third option for use pgzip, and the
> user also can select the amount of cores to used, so in this case, also
> maybe will be better add a message of caution that say "the use of many
> cores can slowing down his VMs". At least for me, it would be fantastic.

I might cast a different opinion here:

I think when we add new buttons / fields in the UI, we should evaluate
how big is the use case.

I don't think we want the PVE gui to end up like this ;)
http://i.imgur.com/WmjtJ.png

It is maybe better to find out what is the best default option in
general and stick to that (for example, preselecting 'nocache' as the
default kvm cache, or having only the HTML5 console proposed by default
are good things IMHO)

There has been some Usability research on that topic
http://uxmyths.com/post/712569752/myth-more-choices-and-features-result-in-higher-satisfac

Emmanuel