[pve-devel] Optimizing CPU flags

Cesar Peschiera brain at click.com.py
Tue Feb 17 16:16:45 CET 2015

Only as a idea, talking about of the kind of processor and the live
migration for get the best performance:

Maybe will be better that PVE analyze the CPU flags of each node in the
cluster, then, it will create a personalized and optimum kind of CPU with
CPU flags that the nodes have in commun, it will be very util when you want
apply live migration.

The advantages:
1) We get the best performance to processor flags level.
2) Don't matter the kind of CPU that you have, nor how many new flags have
the new processor purchased, always PVE will do the comparison and will
enabled for the VMs.
2) Live migration will work.

But the disadvantage of this strategy is: When you add PVE nodes and you
have VMs running (that if the VMs are not running, also will be very util).

Maybe this strategy can be applied correctly, but it will be in pending
changes for apply.

I think that will be the better strategy, due that don't matter the kind of
CPU that you have. Moreover, for long time i was waiting a feature of this
kind.

Best regards
Cesar