[pve-devel] [RFC v0 pve-manager/cloudinit] cloudinit: draft

Wolfgang Bumiller w.bumiller at proxmox.com
Thu Aug 13 08:19:09 CEST 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 07:36:25AM +0200, Alexandre DERUMIER wrote:
> >>This is only a draft! Please comment!
>
> 1)
> I don't like too much the "generate delete" (cloudinit) near "delete remove edit revert" 'network config).

Yeah I haven't touched the buttons all too much yet, I'm not a fan of
javascript :p
Mostly I just wanted to get some functionality done. I'm not a GUI
designer, I like the commandline ;-)

> If we select the line "network0" for example, we can choose menu "delete" or "remove", it's confusing.

Yeah I know. It's already an issue with the hardware view and the button
to remove a VM... I had such an incident yesterday */me hides in shame*

> Maybe add a line "cloudinit" on top of the list, and enable/disable menus could help ?

I guess we wouldn't actually need any buttons if the cloudinit entry
would select a storage or disable the entire thing.
(Except for the 'edit' button of course.)

> 2) maybe the networkconfig display should match lxc panel display?

There are fewer options than with lxc. Dietmar already suggested to
maybe use tabs in lxc: for the general options, ipv4 and ipv6. For
cloudinit that would then just be the ipv4 and ipv6 tabs.

> 3) do we really need to "regenerate" the config ? can't we always apply it if we changing/revert network config?
>
> if we change config offline, we regenerate the config at vm start
>
> if we change config online, we could eject cdrom, regenerate config and reattach cdrom

Right, but I think we might need to adapt our cloudinit UUID strategy
again. Checksums have the issue that when you change to config A, then
B, then back to A, A won't be applied, which could be confusing.
We've been changing so much so often already, it's getting weird :p

Maybe when the VM is running though there should be a button to update
the drive, otherwise we'd be ejecting+genearting+inserting on every
single interface we change, which would be weird if there are many. OTOH
I suppose it's _usually_ just one or two? Don't know.