[pve-devel] RFC : cloudinit : PATCH V8

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Tue Aug 4 10:03:06 CEST 2015

>>I'd like to pick this up again. Have you made any more changes?

No change since the last time. (I would like to work on it again too)

>>Currently generating the cloudinit image is a one-shot mechanism (and
>>also currently fails if the image already exists.), it ends up as a
>>"normal" (persistent) image in a cd drive.
>>I'm wondering if this is ideal, and how this would be represented in the
>>UI. (Probably a simple «generate cloudinit» button?)

I thinked to something like a dropdown list.

cloudinit : -disable
            -ide3 (enable)
            -ide4 (enable)
            -sataX (enable)

selecting a disk controller as value, generate and attach the config drive.
(to match "qm set vmid -(ide|sata)x storeid:cloudinit"  )

>>Do we still like to have a way to auto-regenerate it when changing
>>network configuration?
I think the main problem is that currently, we regenerate the config at each start.
That's why I thinken to add the digest as property, in vmid.conf.

>>Because for this the current situation is
>>somewhat inconvenient as we'd have to match the existing drives for a
>>disk named vm-${vmid}-cloudinit.

It's not a problem is we need to simply parse the vm config file.
But it can be slow if we need to scan the storage itself. (depend of the storage api)

I'd like to pick this up again. Have you made any more changes?
Currently generating the cloudinit image is a one-shot mechanism (and
also currently fails if the image already exists.), it ends up as a
"normal" (persistent) image in a cd drive.
I'm wondering if this is ideal, and how this would be represented in the
UI. (Probably a simple «generate cloudinit» button?)
Do we still like to have a way to auto-regenerate it when changing
network configuration? Because for this the current situation is