[pve-devel] backup

Cesar Peschiera brain at click.com.py
Mon Oct 20 06:15:23 CEST 2014

Hi Lindsay

Maybe you'd better have a PVE on a PC as Backup Server instead of a NAS.
Why i believe that it will be better?
For four reasons:
1) You will can manually restore the backups that were completed
successfully on this same PC that also is running PVE and test it for be
sure that your files of backups are in perfect status for his restauration.
2)  You will not need to use your real servers doing such tests, and you
will avoid performance degradation.
3) If a hardware component is decomposed, you only will need change the part
that is decomposed.
4) If a PVE real server decomposes, and you don't have "HA" enabled, your PC
of backup will can help you starting the VMs that are necessary in this same
computer.

By other hand, for a company, i will be testing this scenery:

2 PC of Backup
-----------------
- The two PC of Backups will have the same configuration
- Mainboard Asus "P8H77 m pro" (workstation)
- 16 GB RAM
- OS = PVE (from his ISO installer)
- NFS service for use in the Backups
- 1 NIC Intel dual port 10 Gb/s with bonding "active-backup" (for use
exclusive of the backups) connected to the LAN of the backups
- 2 NICs Intel single port with bonding "LACP" connected to the LAN company
(for his management)
- Adaptec RAID controller 6805e (without write cache enabled)
- 8 HDDs in 4 groups of RAID1 - for that each real Server (PVE) do the
backup exclusively in a RAID1 of the PC of Backup
- All the HDDs will be: SATA 7.2K RPM

Some real Servers (PVE)
--------------------------
- For do the backups, each server will have 2 NICs 1 Gb/s for use exclusive
of Backups in a independent LAN, with bonding type "round-robin", so i will
get 2 Gb/s in this network link.
- NFS client enabled

Switches:
---------
A group of Switches Dell N2024 for connect all equipment.

So, if you want to know the result of this test, that will be in a
production environment, only let me know.

Best regards
Cesar Peschiera