[pve-devel] backup ceph high iops and slow

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Sun Oct 19 20:47:04 CEST 2014

>>How should we do read-ahead inside qemu? manually?

This is managed by the linux kernel automaticaly

/sys/class/block/sda/queue/read_ahead_kb

Also about ceph performance,

another problem is that qemu is single threaded for block access. And ceph/librbd cpu usage is huge, so it's possible to be
cpu bound on 1 core.

I need to send a patch, but with virtio-scsi it's possible to do multi-queue, to scale on multi-cores, with "num_queue" param in virtio-scsi device.
I'm not sure It's helping for the blocks jobs, but It's really helping the guest ios.

Here some bench results on coming giant ceph release  with differents tuning:(0.86)

8 cores (CPU E5-2603 v2 @ 1.80GHz):

15000 iops 4K read :  auth_client: cephx  rbd_cache: on  (50% cpu)
25000 iops 4K read : auth_client: cephx  rbd_cache: off (100% cpu - seem to have read lock with rbd_cache=true)

40000 iops 4K read : auth_client: none  rbd_cache: off (100% cpu - cephx auth is really cpu intensive)

And with 1 core, I can get only 7000 iops. (same inside the vm with virtio-blk)