[pve-devel] Task List Migration

Daniel Hunsaker danhunsaker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 20:01:42 CEST 2014

We *could* put them in /etc/pve someplace, so they automatically sync
throughout the cluster, but that would probably cause more issues than it
solves, especially as regards disk space and change frequency.  The fact
that VMs themselves are sometimes node local, and sometimes on shared
storage, means there's some inconsistency involved with not storing the
logs on the same storage as the VMs (they're currently under /var/log,
which generally makes sense).  However, rsync on migrate would cause the
fewest compatibility issues, and the fewest code changes.

As to deleted VMs, we could easily just delete the task logs when we delete
the VM.  However, there might be some benefit from keeping the old logs for
later review.  So, perhaps rename them (they're stored one directory to a
VM, one file to a task, so rename the directory) to include the VM deletion
date/time (or some other unique identifier, if we have one I've forgotten),
so they don't persist through to any new VM(s) using the same ID, but they
also stick around on disk, even if multiple VMs with the same ID get
deleted over time.  We'd probably want a mechanism in the API/web UI for
reviewing/removing such logs.