[pve-devel] Default cache mode for VM hard drives

Cesar Peschiera brain at click.com.py
Thu Nov 20 08:49:54 CET 2014

> Cache=none means no host cache but backend cache is still in use. In case
> of DRBD this is a buffer in DRBD. So O_DIRECT return OK when data
> reaches this buffer and not RAID cache.

Excuse me please if i intervene in this conversation, but as i understand,
if the data is in a buffer of DRBD, then DRBD must know that there exist
data to replicate, so obviuosly the problem isn't in the upper layers (KVM,
any buffer in the RAM controlled by some software, etc.), so the buffer of
DRBD should be optimized according to convenience.

Moreover, DRBD have several Web pages that tell us with great detail about
of optimize many things, including the configuration of his buffers for
avoid the data loss, also with examples of with and without a RAID
controller in the middle. So it, the softwares that are in the upper layers
nothing can do about since that DRBD takes the control of the data as also
of his own buffer.