[pve-devel] KVM guest hangs with SCSI drive (ZFS)

Adrian Costin adrian.costin at gmail.com
Sat May 3 20:43:54 CEST 2014

> Well, we are facing two kinds of bugs:
> 1) Seabios does not detect scsi disks if hw-controller is anything but
> MegaRAID or VirtIO.
> 2) Using scsi disks and any hw-controller installation stops when the
> installer tries to initiate hardware. Eventually Proxmox stops the VM.

I've tested all the 2.6.32 pve-kernels back to 2.6.32-23-pve and the
3.10.0 kernel and the standard debian 3.2.0-4 kernel with pve-qemu-kvm
1.7-8, 1.7-6, 1.7-4 and 1.4-17 (all combinations) with the same
result.

Also using qcow2 on local ext4 (probably LVM too) both problems are
not present. SeaBIOS does recognize the drive with LSI and the VM
boots and works fine regardless of the SCSI controller.

My goal is to run the VMs using the VIRTIO SCSI controller to take
advantage of the TRIM/DISCARD feature with sparse/compressed ZVOLs.
I've tested the discard=on feature using IDE and works just fine, but
I don't want to take the performance penalty of running with IDE.

Best regards,
Adrian Costin