[pve-devel] Container suspend/resume (checkpoint/restore) via API

Daniel Hunsaker danhunsaker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 03:21:17 CET 2014

Is there any reason in particular to not support suspend/resume of
containers (technically called checkpoint/restore by OpenVZ, but it's the
same idea) via the API?  I understand the feature is used by VZDump's
suspend mode, but it also seems like it could be useful for more routine
operations.  Say, for example, if I wanted to implement an idle sleep
function, which monitors a CT's activity, and suspends it if it's been idle
for a certain amount of time (presumably with another mechanism in place
for waking it back up when it is needed again).  This would allow me to
minimize resource usage even further than CTs already do, freeing resources
for use by other, less idle operations.  If there's a reason for not
supporting this, I'd like to save myself the time to find out why.

I've done a preliminary search through what Google can see of the mailing
list archives, and can't find it discussed anywhere in there.

- Daniel Hunsaker
Owner / Developer
Lei's Genesis Experiment: Code For The Future!