[pve-devel] dhcp server

Michael Rasmussen mir at datanom.net
Sat Jul 26 13:31:13 CEST 2014

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 11:13:00 +0000
Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:

> > Yes, but if we leave IP discovery to ND and SLAAC which is the intended way we
> > will only need to provide DNS et al. Gateway, broadcast and IP will be handled by
> > ND and SLAAC.
>
> Ok, sound reasonable.

And I forgot to mention: 50% of the code is generic and provided we
only need to provide DNS et al the required code for this will only
raise the lines of code by 10-15%.

My intended way of doing it as IPv6 stateless DHCPv6. Read more here:
http://blog.geoff.co.uk/2011/08/02/ipv6-automated-network-configuration/

When SLAAC with RDNSS is widely accepted this will be the way to go and
this will be easy provided we use IPv6 stateless DHCPv6. Stateful
DHCPv6 as we know from DHCPv4 is a bastard specification anyway since
it is not able to provide default routers so SLAAC will be required
anyway.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.  Second
marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.