[pve-devel] pve-firewall questions

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Mon Jan 20 07:22:33 CET 2014

> i'm begin to read pve-firewall README
> https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-
> firewall.git;a=blob;f=README;h=0d90df5b54f10cd38cbc11895744296fc7479126
> ;hb=b486ed3b930807586eb1038c60682d5e8a8637f8
>
> About zones:
>
> >>We simply define one zone for each bridge/vm pair.
>

> So, we need to define 1 zone by vm ?
>
> If yes, this seem strange. What I have in mind, is to define 1 zone for multiple
> vms, with no filtering inside the zone by default.
> Then configure firewall rules between the differents zones.

You normally want to setup a firewall for each VM - for example each customer want
to have a firewall for his VMs.

But we may also allow other groups like VM pools, or global rules.

> If we need to defined rules, for each vm, one by one, I'll take a lot of time, and
> the number of rules will be very big. (and could lead to performance problem)
>
> Does I miss something ?

It must be possible to define rules at different levels:

- for any network interface in the VM
- for each VM (sum of all network interfaces of a VM)
- for a VM pool (list of VMs)
- at global level (all VMs)